Friday, April 2, 2010

Nobila 2008 Pinot Grigio New Zealand

Happy Friday! It's wine time!

This Pinot Grigio is from New Zealand's 'Regional Collection'. It's a representative of the unique and diverse qualities of several vineyards throughout New Zealand. The label notes in particular, Gisborne, Hawkes Bay and Marlborough. Marlborough is a name I recognize from my recent trip to Disney World. It seems that whenever I really liked a wine there it was from Marlborough.

I have just poured the wine and the first thing I notice is that the color is a little on the darker yellow side. I wrinkle my nose a bit because that's usually a sign that I don't like. Let's taste and find out...

A few sips later...

I can definitely taste oranges in this wine but I wouldn't really call it citrusy like the grapefruit flavor of most Savignon Blancs. It has a crisp light finish with a smooth and slightly buttery taste. Normally the buttery taste is OK for one glass but after the second I find it to be overbearing. I'll need more than one glass to rate this wine. I'll return mid-bottle after I have conducted further analysis. Mid- bottle for me is about 2 glasses, by the way. My husband and I watched an episode of Cougar Town with Courtney Cox the other night (not a show we usually watch). Courtney's character was trying to stop drinking wine for a month (which she didn't accomplish, by the way). Her pours were in large glasses and filled to the very top. So full, in fact, she had to bend to take a sip before lifting the glass. So, in our house an "over-pour" is now the "Courtney pour".

After a glass and a half...
I give this wine a 3 in color, a nose of 4, a 3 in taste, and a 4 in finish. Total score = 14. It's not a bad wine. I may not purchase it over some of my favorites on the market but it's a nice change. Maybe I need to sample more Pinot Grigios in order to do a better comparison. For those who don't like the grapefruit flavors I think you might like it.

Until next bottle, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment