Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Grüner Veltliner - Wachau, Austria



Even better than finding a new wine that I like is finding a new grape variety that I have never heard of. It’s just so exciting!

In visiting downtown Wilmington over the weekend to spend Daddy’s Day with my father, the 3 of us (Mom, Dad and myself) stopped at a local upscale bar and asked what Sauvignon Blanc they had. The bartender informed us that they were out of Sauvignon Blanc but before we could run for the door he mentioned that we might enjoy the flavor of a similar tasting grape called Grüner Veltliner. Well, “bring it on”, we said!

I thought it was excellent and kept asking the good looking bar tender to repeat the pronunciation (as he could pronounce it with a German accent). I, of course, cannot so ordering it out may take some practice.

The wine we tasted was called Hopler (a 2008) and I couldn’t wait to get home and see if I could find it at my local wine store. I gave the napkin I had written it down on to my husband. (He loves to shop for new wines for me. Such a good man.) Alas, he could not find Hopler but he found 3 different bottles, each of a different vineyard, at Total Wine. The one I am tasting now is from Wachau County, hence the name. Wachau, as I’ve discovered, produces the more elegant examples of this variety.

This wine has a light pale coloring, a fresh fruity, pepper-spice aroma, a light grassy taste with hints of peach and orange and a smooth finish. This medium bodied wine is so good.

It scores a 5 for color, a 5 for nose, a 4 for taste and a 4 for finish. Total score, 18. You must try this wine or at least the Grüner Veltliner.

Until next bottle, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment